Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

I've been tagged to be part of The Next Big Thing Blog Hop by Dianne Salerni, Tricia Leaver, and TC McKee (aka Tammy). (click on their names to see their posts.) Also tagged by Dianne are Marcy Hatch and Donna Weaver. Be sure to check out their posts, too!

What is the working title of your book?
I had a hard time with naming this one. It tarted out as Sleeping Handsome, then I called it Kaylee (after the MC), and finally settled on Quest of the Hart

Where did the idea come from for the book?
A friend suggested I write a book where the princess had to go on the quest to save the prince, and Quest of the Hart was born.

What genre does your book fall under?
YA Fantasy

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Kaylee- Britt Robertson 
Devlin- Chace Crawford (with longer hair)
Sabrina- Shelley Hennig
Arabella- Phoebe Tonkin (just needs violet eyes and blacker hair)
Thaddeus- Jake Sandvig

(and yes, it's pure coincidence that 3 of those people are on the same show!)

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
A reverse Sleeping Beauty tale where the princess goes on the quest to save the prince.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I am publishing through Muse It Up, a small publishing press.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
First draft? I'm not sure. I know I have about 8 years into this book (and many different incarnations!)

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I hate to compare, but seeing I have too, I'd say Kristin Cashore's Graceling and Tanith Lee's Wolf Tower

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
See question 2 :-)

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
All the princesses in my world have animal abilities that allow them to do special things (talk to animals, see through the eyes of animals. things like that.)

Now, for my tags! Be sure to hop over and see:
Nicole Zoltack (posting today)
Cherie Reich (posted previously- link goes to her post)
Margaret Fieland (posting today)

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Mary! How did you end up with MuseItUp? Did you submit to them or connect with them through another author? I didn't know 8 years went into this book. Wow.

    And clearly I don't watch enough TV. I don't recognize any of those names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I submitted to MuseItUP, but I know two authors who are with them (we met through the Writer's Digest forums) and as I was submitting, I learned one of my CP's is an editor there.

      I wouldn't have known most of those actors expect I started watching The Secret Circle on Netflix. And, voila! I also did a lot of picture searching on Google.

      Delete
    2. Mary, great post, and nifty questions.

      Delete
  2. What a fun idea for a story. Love that sword at the top of your blog. New follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! It was a lot of fun to write (and created a whole new world for me to play in!)

      That sword is actually hanging on the wall at my house, and the material under it is remnants from my bridesmaid dresses.

      Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  3. Love the idea of the princess doing the saving. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love a good fairy tale :) And very cool you'll be seeing it in print! I'd love to do an interview with you as it gets closer to publication :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love strong female protagonists. Thanks for visiting my blog, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun twist on the old fairy tale. You seem very sure of the actors you want to play the parts of your characters!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.