Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pantster or Plotter

What kind of author are you?  Do you let your characters flow from your mind onto you paper or screen (pantster) or do you develop detailed outlines you follow to the letter (plotter) ?  Or, are you somewhere in between?

I tend to fall in the middle.  I plan my plot to a point where I know where my story is going, then I let my characters take me on the journey.  Sometimes they lead me down paths I didn't know were there when I started.  (Recently, my MC introduced me to almost her entire adopted family- I wasn't expecting that!)

So, if you are a plotter, do you let your characters lead you down those side roads to see what might be there?  If you're a pantster, do you jot down timelines or a vague outline to follow?  What kind of author are you?  Share in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I am mostly panster but am trying to work on plotting a little better to help my stories along.

    I just usually get an idea and run with it by writing long hand until I run out of thoughts. Sometime it could be hours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.